Monday 26 November 2012

WINOL 2

After the success of 'from bongs to gongs' I was asked to take on the role of Headline writer for the bulletin, as well as my role of web editor. On the web side of things, I had decided, with Jason, my web development editor, that we should move away from 'Joomla' the content management system that we had previously been using for WINOL. We both found it hard to use, and hard to develop the website in the way that we wanted it to look. Wordpress seemed like the best option so Jason went bout redeveloping the site in Wordpress. In the meantime, I made sure that everybody was registered on Joomla and was able to put written stories on the site. In previous years I feel that everybody had seen written stories (and the website as a hole) as an afterthought to the bulletin. I wanted to change that so insisted that every bulletin sotry had a written story to go with it by 5pm on a Wednesday. This worked out well and for the first time in a long time, we had a busy, live looking site, as well as a bulletin.

In terms of headline writing, our top story was regarding the scabies outbreak at the University. I decided upon "scabies gets under the skin of Winchester students". We also had a story about the worlds coldest beer that was being sent to the arctic. I immediately wanted to go for 'polar beer', but it didn't fit the format of the headlines, so I had to "kill my babies" instead opting for " a warm welcome to the coolest beer in the south" thanks to a little help from Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment